Hello there! We present some free events and activities for the weekend. Most of them are daily or weekly events so if you miss them this weekend you can experience them during another weekend or even another day. Don’t miss the “Chinese Festival: Paper, Painting and Performance” held at the V&A museum though! Here are the events in more detail:
- start the weekend on Friday with the daily free, one-hour guided tours (11.30am & 2.30pm + 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays) of the National Gallery (highly recommended); on Fridays there is an extra, late, 7pm tour (the gallery closes at 9pm); a great way to spend your evening! Don’t miss the ones this Saturday with Leslie Primo; his tours are humorous, informative and inspiring!
- alternatively, try the guided tours at the V&A museum: they are too free, last one hour and they are very inspiring. Introductory tours at 10.30am, 12.30, 1.30 and 3.30pm daily; Theatre and Performance Galleries Tour at 2pm (check at the museum as it doesn’t take place all the weekdays; it is safe to say that it’s on during the weekends)
- If you haven’t done it before register online (before 6pm on Friday – one-off procedure) at parkrun and participate on Saturday at 9am. Parkrun is a free, 5K timed runs in various (42 so far!) parks in London (Brockwell, Crystal Palace, Finsbury, Richmond etc.) & the UK. Even if you don’t register you can still take part in the parkrun though your name will not be included in the results.
- For those with children aged 2-5, consider storytelling sessions with a touch of music (Sunday, 10.30am & 11.30am – The National Gallery)
- Finally don’t miss the ”Chinese Festival: Paper, Painting and Performance” on Sunday at the V&A (12 noon – 5pm). There will be free, drop-in and available on a first come, first served basis activities and performances related to Chinese culture. Performances and activities include calligraphy, fashion, crafts (make your own decorative paper kite, create a Chinese opera mask, paper cutting, paper folding), music and dance. Some of the events are recommended for children (ages 3+). Click here for the full schedule of activities and performances (PDF document).
Have an exciting weekend!
To get the full list of events and all their details for the weekend (Friday, 17 January 2014 – Sunday, 19 January 2014), or to make plans for any future dates please scroll down to the calendar and click on the event(s) you are interested in.